Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Monsters University

I have had enough with the sequels and the reboots. This entire summer has been one uninspired rehash after another, across pretty much the entire spectrum of genres. Granted, earlier this week, Mark and I discussed Pacific Rim, possibly the most original big-budget movie of the season. Oh, who am I kidding? It is unquestionably the most original. However, in that same post, I point out that, at the box office, Pacific Rim somehow placed third after two sequels, neither of which really had any reason to be made.

To some extent, we really didn't need this sequel (prequel, technically) to Pixar's hit Monster's Inc. Pixar seems to be struggling with coming up with original ideas these past few years, with uninspired movies like Cars 2 and Brave. But who can blame them when they're competing with at least two Dreamworks movies a year and, nowadays, heavy competition from other animation studios? Naturally, they want to stick with what they know.

Let me get to the point: I saw Monsters University the other day.

Viewer: Dylan Duck
Time Elapsed Since Release: Almost a month


Like I said before, this movie probably doesn't need to exist. However, Monsters Inc. was one of the better titles in what I consider the first generation of Pixar films, and I was excited to revisit the world of the monsters with Mike and Sully. I should also mention that, much like Andy's struggle to put his childhood behind him in Toy Story 3 struck a chord with me a few years ago, the cartoon re-imagining of college life, fraternities, etc. featured here is what really got me into the theater.

So here we have an origin story of sorts of the special bond between Mike and Sully. At college the two of them are the complete opposite; they immediately resent each other, but are put into a situation where they have to trust each other and work together in order to become professional scarers at Monsters Inc. It's not vital to have seen Monsters Inc. before seeing this movie, though it would help explain some of the jokes and allusions to future relationships that this picture is full of. In this way, Monsters University has a solid stand-alone story, but certainly works to enrich its world and the characters that you probably already know and love.

Much to my satisfaction, the film also does a pretty good job satirizing the most memorable aspects of college life: dorm life, classwork, professors, crappy food, a variety of inane clubs, and most of all, the social life. What the movie, being a sequel, inherently lacks in originality, it makes up for in its boldness to center around subject matter more applicable to college students and adults. I found myself chuckling at the many tongue-in-cheek references that had to be softened just enough to appeal to younger audiences, and I was never disappointed that the joke couldn't go all the way. For example, we never actually saw the characters drinking at the frat house, but there was a quick beer pong scene as well as several shots of solo cups littering the floor. It's refreshing to get a college movie that doesn't rely on fart jokes and gratuitous nudity to get a laugh.

Now onto my complaints, of which there are only two. One pertains to the relatively predictable plot and two-dimensional characters. These past three years Pixar has been testing my patience with shallow, unoriginal productions. Before all that, we had Wall-e, Up, and Toy Story 3 -- three films that were equal parts childhood fantasy and emotional roller coaster -- one right after another. And so there I can't shake this expectation for a deep, heartfelt film. While it is enjoyable to watch the bond form between two lifelong friends, the emotional element of the film leaves a bit to be desired.

My other complaint is with the ending. This is kind of a spoiler, but since it doesn't have very much importance to the rest of the movie, I'm going to mention it anyway. In the end, Mike and Sully get expelled before their first year is over. A montage during the credits explains how they go on to work at Monsters Inc. and eventually become scarers. It seems strange to me that the moral of the story is: 'even if you are a talented and dedicated student, you may realize that your dreams are unrealistic and unattainable. So...do something else. Work in a mail room, or become a janitor.' I'm not sure I want my kids taking that away from this film. But hey, maybe that's just how I, a 20 something college grad understood it. Maybe it's different from the perspective of someone younger.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie. What other animated films are out there right now? Despicable Me 2; I saw the first one, but didn't really get it. Turbo; I guess talking snails are all the rage this summer (see: Monsters University and Epic), but no thank you, Ryan Reynolds. So if you're looking for something different this weekend, I can't really promise Monsters University isn't something you've seen before. But if you enjoyed the original, I would recommend it. The voice acting is very good, the story is decent, and the animation, as always, is impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment