Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Short Films

It is basically our mission to watch films for the sake of watching films, to see things we haven't seen before, and to hopefully churn up some interesting things for like-minded readers. In that same vein, we have decided to throw in whole new section, to mention/recommend/note/talk about short films.

People always forget that these things exist until there's an award given to one they've never heard of and aren't really interested in seeing. I think the main obstacle is that they are hard to find unless you're really looking for one. They don't show them in theaters...do they? I know Pixar movies usually have a cute short before each movie, which I think is fantastic. But otherwise, no one really makes an effort to see them.

Which is a shame, because in a lot of ways, a short film is harder to create than a feature film. You have to take an idea -- a story, a theme, a message -- and compress in down into a 15 minute or less segment. It definitely takes a talent different from full-length film making.

Anyways, like most of you, we don't really watch short films either. But I think now is as good a time as any to get started. Now, I don't really know where we find these films yet. Hopefully they're on the internet somewhere. I happened to 'stumble upon' the first one that I want to recommend. Maybe I'll figure out how to get them to play right on this blog. That would be cool. I don't suppose we'll be talking about them very much; just putting them out there. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment